View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 01:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just returned from the concert at Royce Hall. I'd say the main floor was full. The balcony was only about 50% full.

The tickets had 7:00 p.m. and I assumed that was the starting time, but actually it said 7:00 p.m. DRS. So, I suppose I was supposed to know that that meant the doors open at 7:00 p.m. Lindsey did not take the stage until about 8:25 p.m.

I only saw Lee Lee running around. She was wearing a brown tour shirt. I didn't see the other children.

The show was, again, brilliant. He closed with Time Precious Time. I'm not saying that Lindsey is ever oppressively humble, but I get the feeling that he really likes his guitar playing on SUD and Time Precious Time in particular. He might do Big Love for the crowd, but I think he likes TPT and SUD for himself.

When he introduced DYMM he said he didn't know what a single was, but that it had been "serviced" to several [radio] formats, whatever that means. He shrugged and said, "We do what we can." I found this interesting because if there is any show that the industry types and Warner Bros. execs will attend it is this one. So, he was not only letting the audience know he's not happy with the lack of promotion, he's letting them know too. Although, tonight he left out the part about not having a video.

When he introduced Big Love he said that he thinks they were living in a "subculture of abuse" at that time. The song is not about searching for love, but defending against it and he believes that he was certainly locked up and guarded back then. Now, over the last 10 years things have changed. Since he's no longer the guarded man he was, the song has now taken on a certain irony and its meaning has changed for him forever.

When he introduced the band and talked about the "big bad Malibu days" he said he doesn't remember them, but he has flashes of Gary Busey and Nick Nolte. This amused me because when I look at him in the GOS promo pictures (especially the one in the blue shirt) I think of Gary Busey and Nick Nolte myself. Neale wanted to know why Lindsey brought them up. "Do you think I look like them!?" Lindsey laughed and said he didn't think Neale did.

Now that you guys have told me what a midi is, I think I am annoyed with Wally. I am not amused by all the antics that show it's not "real" drumming we're getting. He drums on his head. He drums the air, patting an imaginary wall -- rather like Harpo Marx. He drums on his face, whip-slapping his head back and forth. I didn't really notice all of the comedy before, but reading you musicians talk about it, has opened my eyes. I am no longer innocent. I feel like Adam and Eve eating the apple and suddenly looking down and realizing they've been naked all this time. They scamper away in shame, looking for fig leaves. I now turn away from Walfredo in hurt disillusionment, longing for the, ah, authenticity of Mick's electronic drum vest.

Lindsey talked about Treason being about something as small as 2 people or as big as nations.

I went with a non-fan. I think she generally enjoyed the show. It kicked in for her when he began crooning Trouble. She enjoyed the pop songs she remembered from her youth and his energy, but about the time Lindsey got to his maniacal laughter in Gift of Screws she observed, "He's an odd bird." I took that as a great compliment to the man. I never want to attend a show where that aspect of his character doesn't poke its way through.

Michele