View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytuesday View Post
Here's hoping! Someone who is admirable an advocate for human rights negotiates peace instead of dominating the world into hatred of America, and someone who at the most basic level recognises that there's a whole world out there and the rest of us can have as much impact upon america as americans can themselves. All that bull**** talk about national security....put someone in charge who is willing to talk with Iran and that's a small step but it would go so much further to national security than anything in recent years. America is as unsafe as it has ever been and i think obama is the first step in any hope of reversing that.
I think his point was that Carter was, by pretty much all acoounts, completely ineffective as a President, despite his altruistic goals and his effectiveness since.

As for the rest of the world hating America - I have been abroad pretty much every year since 9/11 and very few that I spoke to hated America. Many hated Bush though. I also think it is interesting that people say they hate America, but then bitch and complain when America does not provide them with relief from natural disasters and the like; America almost always leads the way in these situations.

Also, I think invading Afganistan and capturing and/or killing many terroroists went miles further than talking to Iran in some benign way, esp. when Iran's leader is a known liar and despite W's failure to reach any conclusion in Afganistan - this is the underlying flaw of W's administration. There is a valient initial effort with no coherent or well planned follow up. Again, if America and ousted SH with an all out invasion and then got Iraq up and running in a year (which was possible), would 95% of those currently complaining still be complaining - I say no.

In the end, America is flawed and has done some bad things, but it is still the undisputed leader of the free world, the world turns to it for money and guidance, and it provides relief for many nations. I think that pisses people off.

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 06-04-2008 at 10:33 AM..