Thread: show yo mug
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998 View Post
I've been a few times. I'm quite the local. I was raised just about 1/4 mile east of the track. (oh the crazy stories I could tell about the night before the race!) The neighborhood street behind the street I was brought up on had a big 6 foot fence... an attempt to keep us off the IMS grounds. But there was a hole in the fence just big enough for me and friends go slip through, and viola! We were on the Brickyard Championship Golf Course, and just a little further was the 2nd turn. Oh yes, I've been a few times. So, I'm one of those who get mad when a tourist is in front of me doing 20 mph in front of the track to "take it all in".... I've taken it in all my life! Drive the damn speed limit! haha It really is a neat place to be during May with all the activities going on. I won't be going this year, but maybe again one of these days.

If you ever come to Indy to see the race, let me know. I have lots of places you can camp and park.... and party, if you do that sort of thing.
My father would listen to the race on the radio back before it was televised. They use to run it on the real Memorial Day (May 30) and we would BBQ in the yard or at a park and listen to the race. The first race I remember the winner was Mario Andretti in the late 60's.

I've always wanted to go...I've been to the Kentucky Derby several times and that's a spectacle as well.