View Single Post
Old 01-16-2003, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Peacekeeper - It's A Keeper!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
Fleetwood Mac, for the most part, have stuck with themes of love, loneliness, and stardom/success. I'm surpised to see such a politically fueled song.
I may be the only person who *doesn't* think "Peacekeeper" is about world politics, but is rather about the "politics of love" (as corny as that may sound).

To me, it's about the search for love... it's about finding it, and trying to keep it.
A relationship can be like a political scenario, because it's all about making the right choices at the right times, so that both parties can come to an "agreement."
You have to learn which compromises you're willing to make, and which you aren't.

Lindsey talks about the consequences of our actions...
"We make all of our suns the same... every one will suffer the fire we've made. They all explode just the same... and there's no going back on the plans we've made...."

He also talks about the self-defeating behaviour we sometimes engage in, when we get cold feet....
"Only creatures who are on their way... ever poison their own well."

Later, he sings....
"You know all of our friends are gods... and they all tell us how to paint our face.
But there's only one brush we need... it's the one that never leaves a trace."

Friends are offering advice... telling you what you should do, and shouldn't do. Telling you to stay, or to go.
But, in the end, it comes down to you... and if you make the choices that are truest to your heart, then you won't have the burden of regret.

"When the night is cold and still... when you thought you'd had your fill.
Take all the time you will... This is not a test, it's not a drill.
Take no prisoners, only kill."

Those lines refer to caving in to our fears. You feel like you can't handle it anymore, and you're contemplating throwing in the towel. Love just doesn't seem worth all of the pain and hurt.

That last line... "take no prisoners, only kill...".... is definitely one of the most fascinating things he's ever written, and is kind of cynical.
If you're out to find love, then do what you have to do, to find it. Like the old saying says, "you can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs."
He's saying that we're going to hurt people, we're going to screw up, but you can't be afraid of those things, otherwise you'll never find what we're all seeking... and that's love and acceptance.

"Don't be afraid to fight... love is the sweet surprise...."

Well, at least that's how I interpret the song.

Johnny Stew