View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

To quote him exactly about "What Makes You Think You're the One" Lindsey said he and Mick were alone in the studio that night. The sound of Mick on the snare drums was so explosive when they played it back that Mick "got off on it" and became an animal. Lindsey said, "And it was just two-piece. There was no Christine or anybody putting any constraints on what could or couldn’t be done. That has to rate as one of my top-five moments with the band."

From Mick's book, Mick said Lindsey said, "I've done it all arranged, produced, played guitar, sang. I just can't hack it and do it all anymore." Then, according to Mick, Christine sharply questioned this comment because because Lindsey had been suggesting in the press that he was the one responsible for translating Christine and Stevie's music to the world. Which is ironic, because Christine herself has actually said that Lindsey did that.

She said, "I don't tell Lindsey, for example, 'I want you to play such-and-such kind of guitar, that lick,' That's why Lindsey has got the additional production credit on the album-he's been largely responsible for helping to bring across on the record the atmosphere that I want to come over on a song that I write." And in the same interview: "I don't really imagine anybody else being able to do what he does with my songs."

And about her Lindsey said, "She and I have a real valid kind of rapport between us, something that was there before we even met. It's like she can play the piano and I can play the guitar just wonderfully along with her. It's almost like parallel lines during our formative years of music until we met, and it gave us a lot of common ground."

I think Lindsey's songwriting has always been exemplary, at least starting with Rumours, but starting with Miranda and continuing to Under the Skin, I think he is showing more strength and consistency as a lyricist than he ever had before. Music wasn't really his problem, imo. The lyrics were.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 08-22-2007 at 10:36 AM..