View Single Post
Old 12-11-2002, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by goldustboi
Hmmm. dont u just hate it when people get things so hideously WRONG about your fave bands and artists? As well as being a huge FM fan, I'm an even bigger MJ fan, the incident at the MTV awards (no, not the Grammys) wasn't a mistake, he was referring to the artist of the millenium award he received about a month earlier at the World Music Awards.

I'm not about to start speaking badly of FM here coz i'm a huge fan, but they are no more popular than MJ, so u can hardly say his career is "going down the toilet".
Goldustboi,

I didn't mean to offend you (or any MJ fan) in any way. Regarding the "artist of the millenium" award, I stated what I read, yes, in tabloids, but also in broadsheets, MTV news, the main channel news, websites, and radio. You obviously heard a different story from a different source.

And I distinctly remember him coming on stage and saying "If I knew that I would be here TONIGHT receiving the arist of the millenium award...". I'm not sure how that could be interpreted in other ways, but maybe it can.

Additionally, between the years of 1987 and 1994/5, I could have sworn that I was one of the biggest Michael Jackson fans in the world..."Bad" is my third favourite album of all time, and "Thriller" is in my top ten. I knew "Moonwalker" probably by heart, scene by scene, frame by frame....that's how much I loved watching it. I stood in line at Wembley Stadium for 16 hours on a very hot summers day in 1993 to watch him during the Dangerous tour. I still think that he is one of the greatest talents the world has ever seen, and will ever see.

HOWEVER, in my very humble opinion, the man has gradually over the past decade totally lost his mind. He has had accusations of child abuse brought against him, he has destroyed his face to the extent where he no longer looks human and public performances are literally scary to watch, he gave into greed and made the worst mistake of his life in turning against Sony...an insane battle which he could never have won: the result...his massively anticipated album, "Invincible", may as well have been named "Unlistenable" - the first single sounded like a demo from "Dangerous", and the video looked like "Smooth Criminal" gone wrong. The rest of the songs were, in one word, boring. They were of the quality that one would expect from somebody on "Pop Idol"...they went nowhere, and all sounded like material he had previously released between "Off The Wall" and "Dangerous". The same artist set the BENCHMARK and FRONT LINE OF MUSICAL ORIGINALITY when he released OTW, Thriller, Bad, and Dangerous. The album's chart positions imply that I am not the only one who holds such an opinion.

So, I will say it again, but this time insert the words "relatively speaking", his career has gone down the toilet.