View Single Post
Old 12-11-2002, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Take a deeper look into the material that was *not* an A-side, did not get the radio airplay like "Silly Love Songs" or "Ebony And Ivory" or was even hidden on some obscure non-album B-sides (admittedly another proof for McCartney´s lack of judgment sometimes).
Some big examples of this are:

"Let Me Roll It" (album track from "Band On The Run")
"Call Me Back Again" (album track from "Venus & Mars")
"Girls' School" (B-side of "Mull Of Kintyre")
"Name & Address" (album track on "London Town")
"Oh Woman Oh Why" (B-side of "Another Day")
"Coming Up" (the Wings live version being the single...MUCH better decision than releasing the "McCartney II" studio track...kind of the same thing as "Not That Funny"...the studio version, TO ME, is one of FMac's "bottom 10", but the live version rocks!! See? I got "Lindsey" involved!!! )
"What's That You're Doing" (album track from "Tug Of War"...the OTHER duet with Stevie Wonder...MUCH better than "E&I", to my ears)

Quote:
And John Lennon wasn´t always much better in that equation "mainstream = crap" either... "Whatever Gets You Through The Night" was a US No.1, as far as I can remember, yet I can´t say that this was one of his most glorious moments.
Even thought "WGYTTN" was credited to John Lennon, Elton's voice & overall "sound" seems to be in the forefront. If this had come out under Elton's name, I doubt anyone would've noticed that John Lennon even wrote the song, it sounds SO much like your run-of-the-mill Elton John song from that era (except the saxophone part was typical for a Lennon production of that era, too).

His "Woman" from Double Fantasy sound like it could've been a McCartney song from that era, too...for the appearance of John & Paul being poles apart philosophically, they were actually more alike than most people will admit to.