View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuigirl View Post
Sarah..I was suggesting in my post, that in fact the mainstream, have accepted his "quirky" voice because UTS is full of it, and it's proven to be reasonably popular, sales wise, I think (I guess, I'm right there, I don't know for sure,it's not my cup of tea and I haven't got it).
I'm holding out for a better album, next time around...whenever that may be.(fingers crossed)
I see what you're saying. But, in my view, realistically, there isn't any Soundscan data to back that up. I don't subscribe, so I can't check the actual number, but in an interview (Mark & Brian, I think?) Lindsey said something about 13,000 copies. To me, 13,000 of any one single object is a lot. In the world of mainstream music, it really isn't.

I love UTS, so every time we get an article about it, I'm glad to see other people realizing Lindsey's genius outside of Fleetwood Mac. And it was really great to see him included in the -06 end of year lists and stuff like that. But I'm afraid that even that doesn't translate into mainstream acceptance. Hell, I've seen a lot of people on this board who can't digest UTS... and they're all familiar with his quirks. That doesn't give me much hope about the masses.

That's okay, though. Lindsey obviously lives comfortably and enjoys what he does. I don't feel a militant need, as a fan, to recruit more listeners. If someone who isn't familiar with his work can't just pick the records up and enjoy them, I have no desire to talk his music with that person. As such, I have no desire to see him change to suit that person. (I am not talking about you or anyone on this board at all, to be clear. I'm talking about Joe Schmoe on the street.)

Does that make sense? I'm having a hard time putting thoughts into words this morning.

As far as the GOS tracks go, sure it'd be nice to hear them all finished up. But I've heard them, am used to them, and like them the way they are. If he polished them and set them free, I'd enjoy them for sure... but he's said that he's been writing more stuff while he's on the road, and THAT'S what I want to hear on the next record. More, more, more!

And Tusk is a bit of a different situation. Tusk going Top 10 and somewhat appealing to the mainstream is part and parcel of the Rumours drama that had everyone interested, anyway. If it had really appealed to the mainstream, it would have sold more coming of Rumours coattails. (Again, not that 5/6 million isn't a lot, because it is a boat-load.)

Last edited by Sarah; 07-24-2007 at 11:10 AM..