View Single Post
Old 12-10-2002, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default My quick(?) McCartney take

Carne,

I, too, am a big Lennon fan, but I've ALWAYS (well, since I first heard them when I was 6 years old...40+ years I think can be counted as an "always" ) a BEATLES fan...all four equally. But the equality didn't carry through their post-Beatles careers. They all came out smokin' with their first few rounds of post-Beatles albums. Then, in the late '70s, Paul went south...after "Venus And Mars, he took a big slide downhill. "Speed Of Sound"...UGH! (except for "Beware My Love"), "London Town", another UGH! Wings' swan song "Back To The Egg" signalled a promising upswing. Then came "McCartney II"...sometimes home demos should remain publicly unheard. "Tug Of War" was again promising, but "Pipes Of Peace" stopped that trend right away. The "Give My Regards To Broadstreet" album & movie were quirky yet yucky. (except for "No More Lonely Nights"). I DO think that Paul's been on a steady upswing since "Press To Play", though. Between that album and then the EP of "Once Upon A Long Ago", followed by the Choba A CCCP" album, then "Flowers In The Dirt", "Off The Ground", "Flaming Pie", "Driving Rain", (I haven't heard "Run Devil Run", so I didn't list it)...he's just been getting better and releasing, to me anyway, his best post-Beatles material EVER.