View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

A couple people have compared/contrasted the women that Lindsey has been with over the years. That exquisite femininity, etc. But Stevie was also a fire brand, the one that could light up the room, the one that people noticed (and still do) when she enters a room. I think Carol Ann was incredibly passive, sweet and, despite having been in a relationship before, having a child, etc, still with a touch of innocence about her insomuch as the drug culture was at that time. I don't think she was stupid, though. She knew Lindsey was a rock star and quite well off. By the end of her almost 8 year relationship, as she points out, she could have made off well financially. But she didn't. That's to her credit. She also seems to have become more aware of her needs to have boundaries. She started getting some professional help. She finally realized it "wasn't her fault" when she was being physically and emotionally abused and it wasn't "okay." When she entered the relationship with Lindsey she had no strength, in my opinion, no sense of self worth. She was, really, quite a pathetic human being. She was defective. Lindsey and Carol didn't buy a cat together. He presented her with one, as one would do with a child on Christmas or something.

I think of the lyrics of one of Stevie's songs: what you did not need was a woman who was stronger. You needed someone to depend on you. I could not be her baby. I did not want to. My first mistake was to smile at you.

With Carol Ann, Lindsey thought he was getting what he wanted. A dependent. Someone very pretty, sweet, loving, obedient- someone that would love him unconditionally and be there just for him. He didn't want someone that ruled her life like a bird in flight, so to speak. I don't know a lot about what Lindsey's experiences were with girls when he was little. He didn't have sisters. He may have thought they were sugar and spice, etc. He may have been raised to believe "men, men, men men men" are the rulers of the home and women were there to help them. I think having been around some women, having done some growing, having had his own therapy, Lindsey's also changed.

He has always been the musical genious for Fleetwood Mac. But I believe he's changed, he's grown up, and he's able to see a woman as a partner now. And I think he's also found the adoring dependent females he's always been looking for. And when I look at this picture that Nico kindly posted, I think he realizes how lucky he is:

He's found that little dependent girl (twice over!) that will always look up to him, always listen to him, be sweet, loving, obedient . . . well, until they reach their teens. And at that time he won't want them to be passive, dependent, unworldly. He would never allow anyone to raise a hand to them. He'll want them strong.