View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Senior Ledgie

Wait - is that post above an excerpt from the book? (I haven't gotten to that part yet). (On edit: AHHH!!! The post above twas fiction. Thank GOD! But I get it. This is pretty close to Harris' style).

So far, I find the book tedious with detailed quotes and overly fleshed out scenes. How can anyone remember all that crap from 30 years ago? And the fact that she was so young. I look back on when I was that age, and realize that what I thought was reality, was really just my own perception of the scenes going on in my life at the time.

Right now, I'm up to the part where he's in Washington DC (i think) and he's dieing of horrible pain from the spinal tap he got in another city. Carol is freaking out, thinking that he'll die from his next seizure. Meanwhile, Stevie is nowhere to be found - deattached - unconcerned about Lindsey's health. We get one moment when Stevie runs into Carol after the grand mal incident - the only time Stevie appeared or reacted to Lindsey's attack - and proceeded to tell her a story about her dog - who had some kind of seizure, and Stevie totally understood how Carol felt because she was freaking out that she couldn't do anything - to which Carol laughed behind her back, relayed the convo to Lindsey - who also laughed...blah blah blah.

Now - I do believe that Stevie showed Carol her sympathy by telling her the dog story. Stevie seems a bit flakey like that - but really? She didn't care or seem concerned in the least? Never came by the hotel room with the others? Really, Carol - she was cold like that?

Anyway - I just think her writing is superfluous. I find myself reading the meat of a paragraph, and when she begins to ramble (as I am doing now), I skim the page.

Last edited by Boots; 07-05-2007 at 01:14 PM..