View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Flemings right hand rule

Flemings left and right hand rules are Basic physics...not kidding...check them easily on Wikipedia....any magnetic field, with any associated movement, will create an electric current. Reverse one of the variables, and another reverses. ie in the case of Peter's guitar, reversing the pickup wiring SHOULD have the same result as flipping the magnet. Having done both a few times over the years, it's a little more subtle than that! Putting a push-pull switch in the circuit is something I did many years ago, and it does the right kind of thing, but Peter did not change the wiring at all. In fact doing so actually means that you have a risk of the 2 pickup cables shorting out...not dangerous, just a short=no sound!!! Accidentally flippping the magnet is what Peter did, and that's what really does the trick. Peters ebony Les Paul which I now own, has just that 'Need your Love so bad' tone. It was done for him to reproduce the 59er. It's the most incredible honky sound. As for the Matamp PGT, I'll see if I can get my friend to post details of it...I don't know who owns the other two of these.