View Single Post
Old 10-25-2002, 11:56 PM

Default "Murrow" a single?

Okay, I'm going to make some assumptions here, and I hope at least a few Ledgies will work with me on this.

First let's assume "Murrow" makes it onto the new album. Next, let's assume that people actually "get" what Lindsey's saying in this song (which was the subject of a spirited thread here a few months ago).

Now, I admit this would require that listeners have some knowledge of history, current events, the media, government subterfuge and just an awareness that all is not what it seems in SUV-Land (North America). Sort of a Sixties fantasy. But I'm willing to give the CD-buying and radio-listening public the benefit of the doubt.

I've been enjoying the song tonight, and some things have come to me. For one, it's really a catchy tune with some nifty and even in-your-face guitar. Second, despite the fact that it was written years ago, it's incredibly timely considering the events of the past year or so. Third, in my opinion it represents a real "coming of age" for Lindsey--it's one of his more (if not most) political songs, outside the realm of the self-absorbed subject matters of love gained, love lost, depression, angst and so on.

Could this possibly be a successful and even powerful single from the new album? Or am I dreaming?

I'd love to hear some other opinions on this. Anyone care to take a shot?