View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna View Post
Nope, I'm in radio too And thankfully, we don't have too much newspaper ass kissing. We're a pretty independent little operation, which I like.

I've never worked in newspaper, and I've never heard anything good from anyone who has
We bought out our competition a few years back, so really, it's all been downhill since then. We act like we try to compete with the newspaper, but in my town, the people who own the newspaper own the bank. They sit on all the commissions and boards, and they've got the police and sheriff wrapped around their pinkies. I like it when they give the newspaper a pre-release so they can make their 11 AM printing deadline, but make us wait until 6 PM (after everybody gets home and reads the paper) to get full details. I stick in little jabs when I can. Dispatchers have pretty much learned to avoid the phrases "I don't know" and "I'm not sure". Like an armed robbery a few weeks ago. We knew it had happened.. radio stations in neighboring counties got BOLOs from their sheriff's department and told us. So, I call, and they're like, "Welllllll, we've got detectives on the scene, but I don't know anything else." So I'm like, "Well, do you know if it was a robbery?" "Wellll, I don't know"..click. My story? "Information from neighboring Sheriff's department in blahblah county says an armed robbery suspect wanted for holding up a local pharmacy..blahblahblahblah.. officials at the local sheriff's department said that they did not know if a robbery had actually taken place." LOL!!!!! bwaahahaha. heehee. ha. cough. The sad part is that they totally knew.. even the TBI was called.. they had a suspect description, car description, direction of travel, how much he'd taken, and the fact that the pharmacist herself actually shot at the suspect. And he wants to say he didn't know? F the po-leece.

It's a nice laid-back job most of the time, though, that's for sure. If you like to write at your own pace, it's for you, because newspaper is totally up-yr-butt kind of work. "Done yet?" "Done yet?" "Are you done yet?" "Can I have that yet?" "Is it done?" "I gotta have that by.."