Thread: The Voices
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nicki View Post
I'm was sitting here listening to Red Rover and I got to thinking about Lindsey's voice. He has about five different "voices" or styles of singing. There's the regular voice, the soft voice, the falsetto voice, the loud and odd voice, etc. Not to mention all the studio manipulations he does. Then I got to thinking about Christine and Stevie's voices. It's shocking how little variety there generally is in their voices. Sure, there are subtle things and they, especially Stevie, had pretty versatile voices when they were younger, but they just sing in their regular, often boring voices in their later years. Yet, Lindsey has seemingly discovered more and more odd ways to sing in his later years.

Is this because Lindsey is the more odd one, always experimenting, never worried of looking foolish? Female voices don't always get more rigid and monotone as they age do they? I can only conclude Lindsey's just into that kind of thing. But you can't argue that Stevie would do some pretty wild things while high. Maybe the lack of drugs make her more afraid of looking foolish.
I really don't agree, it seems to me that Stevie's voice today is way more nuanced, rich, powerful and intriguing that Lindsey's. His different ways of singing sound to me many times more a generous but mechanic and struggling effort than a way to manage inspiration. Said that, I loved his singing on Shut us down, more than on most of his SYW songs.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI

Last edited by Serrart; 02-02-2007 at 04:42 PM..