Thread: The Voices
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I have to disagree! I thought Stevie sang each song on Say You Will differently. There was her straight-ahead voice ("Thrown Down"), the screaming banshee ("Smile at You"), the low croak ("Illume," "Destiny Rules"), the digital manipulation ("Everbody Finds Out"), and the husky whisper ("Goodbye Baby"), etc. I do have to admit that Stevie tends to be a one-trick pony in the live setting, but she can surprise us every now and again, ala the recent live versions of "Insider."
I didn't think about Goodbye Baby before, and I'll definitely give you that one. And she is a little angrier on Smile At You, but everything else on the album I consider subtle things, as I mentioned earlier, with no real effort for variety. I suppose it's all just opinion anyway, and me asking you all why she doesn't do something doesn't really work if you all think she does!

At least we can agree on Christine.

You know, on second thought, it may just be that Christine and Stevie are more interested in songwriting, and as we all know, Lindsey is more interested in funky recording techniques and new sounds. He can do all he wants to their songs production-wise, but when it comes time for them to sing, he can't change it if they only want to focus on the song itself.

Funky singing techniques also distract from the words, which would not make them happy.