View Single Post
Old 08-20-2002, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

When I first heard 'Tusk,' I had a hard time digesting it.
Even though I had liked Fleetwood Mac since I was a wee lad, i didn't really make the connection and start buying their albums until 1986/1987, when I was 14/15 years old.

Having a typical 14 year old's rather meager allowance, 'Tusk' was one of the last Mac albums I bought at that time (well, of the 'Rumours' era incarnation), because of its price.

By the time I bought it, I knew the singles... but I had *no* idea that the rest of the album was so... "off-kilter."
And I have to admit it was a little off-putting.

Of course, I quickly took to Christine and Stevie's songs, which were more traditional in their arrangements, etc.... but it took me a long while to find an appreciation for Lindsey's tunes on the album.

And oddly enough, I had his two solo albums by then, and *greatly* preferred the songs on those to his 'Tusk' tunes... despite their very obvious quirkiness.
I guess within the context of Fleetwood Mac, i just didn't get what he was going for, but on a solo album it seemed appropriate.

Nowadays, I enjoy 'Tusk' completely, and listen to it rather often... though I admit that, for the most part I have not listened to the album in its original running order in about 7 years.

(I actually listen to all of the 'Rumours'-era albums in different running orders... which I posted once on the original Ledge boards.
I should do that again for the heck of it.)

Anyway, before I wrap this up... I remember a very cute interview with Stevie once where she talked about how much her dad loved 'Tusk'... especially Lindsey's songs. I guess Mr. Nicks "got it" from the get-go!
She also mentioned that her father has always been a Lindsey fan, which I thought was sweet, given the sometimes acrimonious history between his daughter and Lindsey.

Johnny Stew

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 08-20-2002 at 08:26 PM..