View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 02:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragandbone View Post
"All good dreamers pass this way some day"
I miss my "dark cafe days" I don't get to hang out much.

Yeah, I could sing Joni all night long. I tried to get the band to do 'Amelia" but I don't think we could get the mood right. Somehow, instruments on that song (well, the whole album, really) really evoke the sound of being on the highway: doppler effect, wind, and the imagined sound of wires dipping and rising to meet the telephone poles.
What kills me are the bass lines. The meandering, ever present sliding fretless bass lines of Jaco Pastorius. They never seem to end. When I listen to that record, and to almost all of "Night Ride Home"(my favorite Joni record), the bass lines are like ocean waves...receding, surging, thrumming endlessly like the sea. Utterly hypnotic. No one has ever duplicated it. Well, except Larry Klein, who channeled Pasotirus on "Night Ride Home." I don't know how he mastered that style. It is like magic. Nothing sounds like it.

Of course I discovered, and became enamored of Joni far after my Stevie years started. And now, she has overtaken her as the one artist who seems
the most indefinable and utterly unique and compelling artists ever. I heard her earlier, but didn't get her. I didn't know as much about music then and my ear wasn't as developed. Frankly, neither was my life or the range of emotions I could feel. There is simply so much going on - in an orchestral sense. Joni can just play the guitar and sing, and it sounds like 50 things are happening at once. She doesn't need a producer and a band. That's how complex and layered the structures are. I f*cking adore her.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.