Thread: Big bad poster
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2002, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Big bad poster

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Well, if you notice that I've stopped posting one of these days, and I'm sure many of you would love that, it's because I've been kicked out. Because it seems that this is a preliminary step for that.
That would be a shame, as far as I'm concerned. I get a kick out of reading your take on Lindsey & Fleetwood & all the other paraphernalia we rap about. I suppose if the moderator thing gets you down, you can always check out the alt.music.fleetwood-mac Usenet group, which is completely decentralized & unmoderated. I have always gravitated toward Usenet for that reason; I'm willing to tolerate the bad (trolling) in order to get the good (unfettered commentary & automatic archiving for future reference). At the very least, it gives me a less Rousseauesque, more Hobbesian atmosphere -- "nature red in tooth & claw" -- than is typically found on the more tightly controlled Web boards.

As for the moderated boards, it's a private spot. The board owners & administrators call the shots, which is their prerogative -- after all, they're picking up the tab. You can't get mad at a dog because it doesn't behave like a cat. Moderated Web boards are their own animal, distinct from the free-for-all called Usenet. A healthy daily dollop of both clears the head.