View Single Post
Old 07-02-2002, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
from CarneVacaGee, they had to get two guitarists to replace Lindsey!
{sigh} DO we NEED to get into THIS discussion again?

Let me run through it again for those who missed it:

Lindsey wasn't replaced by two guitarists. Billy replaced him vocally and only HAPPENED to play guitar, Rick replaced him guitar-wise and only HAPPENED to be able to sing well, too (plus, he had a vast knowledge of the Peter Green material). They just ASKED Billy to join first and Billy said that he didn't feel he was proficient enough guitar-wise so he recommened they add Rick, who Billy had been working with at the time. Had they asked Rick first, I doubt there would've been a need to add Billy (sorry, Michelle).

Quote:
from CarneVaca...that the Mac without Lindsey at that point was simply a vain commercial exercise devoid of any real artistry.
Had they ALLOWED Billy & Rick full creative license, I think we would've seen a different product than "Behind The Mask". Just look at both Billy & Rick's subsequent solo albums to see that they had strong "Mac-ish" material to add, but neither were allowed such room within the band. I don't know why new personnel to Fleetwood Mac in prior incarnations were allowed such leeway and in post-1988 incarnations, they weren't...that I blame on Mick, John & Christine; NOT on the newly added writers (Billy, Rick, and subsequently Dave Mason & Bekka Bramlett)