View Single Post
Old 06-30-2002, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Harsh!

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Then you'll be well on your way to ensuring that you will have nothing but countless megabytes of cyber drivel about how deep a shade of blue Lindsey's eyes are
I totally understand how girlish crushes and gushing may be hard for you to comprehend or relate to. No doubt they seem very silly to you. However, these are simply a young girl's equivalent of many young men's (admittedly much more private) sexual fantasies. Young girls and young men have different outlets, and they take different forms. One is no more contemptible than the other.

Of course, farbeit from me to suggest that the upstanding gentlemen on this board ever indulged in a sexual fantasy of a rock star, actress, etc. But perhaps you might have a...friend who did so at one time? And perhaps through this friend you can better understand, perhaps even try to patiently tolerate, such behavior.

I know it's more than easy to let annoyance flare into a desire to lash out at those who irritate you, to show them how little you think of them. Make them feel stupid and ashamed in the hopes that they'll be too humilated to continue posting about such things. While this would be a great relief to many, I have a feeling that people might be able to see why it might not be the right thing to do.

CarneVaca: I'm not trying to single you out. I know for a fact that many people on the Ledge share your feelings about this matter, and it's hardly surprising that that's the case. However (and perhaps this is naive of me) I'm hoping that understanding might lead to greater tolerance and less condemnation.

I don't expect a reply to this post - I'm not looking for an argument. This thread already has enough of those! It's just something I want people to give some thought to.