View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 11:36 AM
Senior Ledgie

Although Lindsey has certainly moved on in his personal life, there are a few songs on the new album that sound as if he hasn't really moved on musically. There are some gems like "Someone's Got to Change Your Mind", "Shut Us Down", "I am Waiting", "Down on Rodeo", all Lindsey-esque songs that are shining examples of the quirky luciousness of Buckingham's unique style; however....

"It Was You" and "Try For the Sun", plus a few other tunes on that CD, evoke an faded "Tusk" bizareness, brimming with incoherent, echo, multilayered vocals that turn the sound to mush. Since it's being discussed in this thread, "It Was You" isn't very inspired, despite the family and child who inspired the words. I agree with those above, they are trite. I adored "Tusk". With the exception of a few tunes that bored me, I loved the album from the day it was released...it was (and is) like candy to me. But Lindsey needs to burst out of his sameness...the frenetic finger picking...the experimentation. Of course pushing envelopes the way LB has provides interesting music, but the experimentation on some of these new tracks dip into an old experiment - from 1979. LB's music lives beautifically when it balanced between his wonderful manical quirks, snappy lead solo that hits a nice hook or with lush guitar and singular vocals/harmonies. He did that with "My Little Demon" and "Bleed to Love Her'. Both songs were odd, but melodically gorgeous, with words that brought forth his emotions articulately. Also, the listener is rewarded with incredible choruses that hold delectible harmonies. Those examples show Linds living in that dream like state between sleep and wakefulness...or bizarre and sublime. He kind of misses it with some of the songs on Under the Skin.

I can't wait for the next album he has on deck - the louder one!

Last edited by Boots; 10-12-2006 at 11:45 AM..