View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragandbone
She works in SF, for noth of the NPR stations, but is freelance. I should have said that she thinks my envy of the radio work is unwarranted, not specifically public radio. I think the low pay has her disillusioned. She and I were working in bars and restaurants 10 years ago, and I think she has forgotten what a grind that was!
Radio is magic. Turning the dial, or searching for an internet station is like wandering through the stacks of the library. I have been hooked ever since my first crystal radio set, in third grade.
"There's somethin' about your voice - coming out of the night, out of the light, out of the sky, out of the ground - over airwaves comes your voice, on a little Atwater Kent Radio."
------Sam Phillips
Ah yes, the low pay in public radio can be a bitch. It depends on where you are though - I'm making more money in Colorado than I was in Rochester and the cost of living is pretty comparable. Either way though public radio salaries are generally on the low side. Still, I think it's worth it to be able to say you love what you do!

edit: Of course I only have myself - I don't have a family to feed - if I did the low pay would definitely be a bitch.