View Single Post
Old 03-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
It might well be - I saw that disc on eBay only today. I also saw that one has the track listed as "Phyllis" like Sharksfan said Another track I got recently that's also on Greener Pastures is "Whole Lotta Love" which I always assumed was a Led Zeppelin song. It turns out it's a Willie Dixon song that Zep ripped off. Mac's version is fantastic Does anyone know when that performance was recorded?
There's another boot called Show-Biz Blues (not the 2-disc official release on Receiver) where it's called "Phyllis" too.

Mac's version of the song that Led Zep re-titled "Whole Lotta Love" is actually titled "You Need Love", and was recorded at the 27 August 1968 BBC session (a year before Zep's version). From what I've read, Muddy Waters wrote the music and Willie Dixon later added the lyrics. Dixon had to sue Zeppelin to regain the writing credit on the song, and he won in court. I'm actually not that crazy about Mac's version of the song, but it sure is a lot more restrained than the Led Zep version!