View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel69
Oh my God. This story is very moving to me as I work in a school for children with developmental disabilities and found myself in the same situation last year. Where I work the age range is from 8 years old until 21 when they graduate and get placed in a group home. The children here range from autisitic to multiple disabilities and conditions. Last year my class was very low functioning. One student Evan is 17, with severe autisim. Evan cannot speak but he loves music and wearing a walkman. The cd's we had for Evan were the usual childrens sing a longs. However one day I brought in The Dance and this boy was mesmerized completely. After a while I would ask him "Evan do you want your music" and he would bang the opening drum riff from The Chain on the table. I would also sing Silver Springs to him and he would tear up, it was astounding to me. Working there touches me right to the core. He also gravitated to Stevie's voice as I started to bring in more Mac. He also loves Stand Back. He goes balistic with that one.

Although my "son" happens to be Johnathan who was in my class last year and graduated last year. He cannot speak wears braces on his legs and was a terror. He was a little violent and would pull hair, and basically attack people. I remember my first day with him. It took a while but he was a completely different person with me and was always by my side. At first he would scratch me so much that my hands looked bizarre, like I was into self mutilation or something. I had to walk him down the aisle at the graduation and the whole place applauded. I still go visit John and sometimes it may be a month or two between visits but they never forget and the look of happiness on his face is priceless. So go see Lou and it will be like no time has passed. I feel so good after my visits with John and so does he.
Isnt it nice how music can do positive things lilke that?