View Single Post
Old 01-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon
Although he added his magical touch in many places, I was dissapointed by much of the CD (I'm ready for the slams, and really don't care.). It's really a matter of taste. I like his mainstream rock, pop sound better than his "quirky", "experimental" stuff. Also, "Smile At You" sounded like a mechanical computer generated tune without depth. I was so waiting in anticipation to hear that song finally on a CD and was completely disappointed. I can't even listen to the "Say You Will" version.
I'll give you quirky, but I don't think anything on any Fleetwood Mac album has ever been "experimental."

But I'm not a very big fan of "Smile At You," either (except for John's bassline, which is fantastic). It does indeed sound very mechanical and lacking the depth of emotion present in all of the old demos. I'm not sure that's entirely Lindsey's fault, though. I'd lay at least part of the blame on Stevie.
First, she agreed to go along with this production direction. But more importantly, I think the lack of passion in her vocal is almost directly a result of the fact that the song was written twenty-five years prior to it being recorded for Say You Will. She's clearly very far removed from the anger that fueled her earlier demo recordings of the song, and that really shows in the final result.

Quote:
I do love "Steal Your Heart Away" and "Miranda". I wish he would have put "Twist of Fate" and "Down On Rodeo" on the CD, and based on many previous threads, I'm not the only one.
I could live without "Second Hand News #2" but I would have loved to see "Down On Rodeo" on there also. Perhaps he's saving it for whenever he thinks he'll actually release a solo album. He's clearly still interested in the song, as he performed it for Soundstage, along with "Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind," which I also would have loved to see on Say You Will. Ditto "Shuffle Riff."