Thread: Katrina
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
This is really gross but it's a reality: the same thing happened in Sissano Lagoon in Papua New Guinea after the great tsunami of 1998. The lagoon was separated from the open ocean by a spit, & the flooding brought all the saltwater crocodiles into the lagoon to feast on all the corpses.

In Louisiana, there are already reports of sharks & gators swimming freely throughout the area, & every news report shows people -- rescuers & rescuees -- mucking around in the waist-deep water. It's shiver-inducing.

As if sharks & gators weren't bad enough, you have all these venomous serpents -- rattlers, cottonmouth water moccasins, corals, etc. -- slithering around in the water (snakes are great swimmers), having been disturbed from their dens. Many people have been bitten by poisonous snakes in water all over the world; snakes can bite while they're swimming.

It's just horrifying. I think as many people as can be spotted in those areas should be airlifted by helicopter out of there asap. Take them to Red Cross centers that aren't in or near the swamps or flooded areas.
That's so frightening. I wish I could help them get out. Then smack them silly for not heeding the evacuation order.