View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Nancy, I think you are absolutely correct, & you have very astutely ascertained the logocentric error in my position. I must confess, I have no adequate resolution to suggest, other than to offer the possibility that my error also may lie in my naive implication of a transcendental signified within the self-referential aporia I attempt to expose in "Loving Cup." My failure is nothing more than an attempt to undo the comfort of mastery & consensus that underlie the illusion that objectivity is situated somewhere outside the self.
David, the aporia of the song does not need to be "exposed." It's fairly obvious (well, I take that back. We probably have different ideas of what makes the song in some ways paradoxical - mine are less theoretical and more concerte, such as the paradox of speaking of self-defeating behavior as if it were a solution). In fact, I believe Lindsey's ironic dubbing of the "loving cup" as "magic" spells that out. The irony forces the acknowledgement of the aporia.

On the other hand, if your criticism of Loving Cup is some kind of social exercise designed to make Ledgies question their own personal realities, well, more power to ya.