View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just picked up this special issue yesterday, and read through the Greeny article last night. Not bad, although not a tremendous amount of new info there. As Dino mentioned, part of the article is based on a new interview with Peter, and there appear to be some new observations from Mike Vernon and Bob Brunning. And there are some terrific photos that I haven't seen before. The article mostly rehashes info I'm sure most of us know already, but it's still worth picking up this issue (I found it at Borders).

The editors need to check dates better! Picked up on three incorrect dates mentioned in the article - one photo from a TV appearance is dated 1968 in the caption, and it's clearly late '69 or early '70 (Peter with a full beard & wearing a long white robe, with a Dobro). Another photo is captioned "Royal Albert Hall, 1 January 1969" - the band was in the US on that date! Also, the photo captions are reversed for a couple of small photos of Peter with the Bluesbreakers and with the original Mac lineup with Bob Brunning. In the article, there's also a mention of the Munich LSD incident as taking place on 11 April 1970 - impossible since their European tour was over by then. The actual date would have been in late March.

An intriguing quote from Peter's new interview concerns the famous Munich LSD tape. In that basement jam session, he says he "started playing all sorts of original bits - I had the knowledge of blues records, but I started playing original music". Makes me want to hear that tape even more, but I'm doubtful that it will ever surface (who knows whether it even exists anymore?).