View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I did not mean to imply that the portrayal was not the way he is and I did not mean it in a perjorative way, which I think you took it as. I was using it as a manner of speaking andn not to imply that LB created this false persona. Sorry for the confusion.

I agree and think LB likes pushing the envelope and I like it when he does. But, my point was and is I do think LB is not the maverick he perhaps would like to be or like for us to think he is because although he bemoans the industry and its control of him as he did in DR - he simultaneously seeemingly loves it and works pretty well in it - I mean he keeps running back to it Maybe he is running back for Stevie - who knows - be he runs back to it nonetheless. Thus, he is a mini-maverick (levity)
I don't actually think Lindsey thinks he is some sort of profound maverick, but what he is used to is being the only in the band on one side of a debate, while everyone else is on the other side or just not getting involved. He jokes he's "the troublemaker" because of that pattern. Within Fleetwood Mac, that pattern has to make him feel like he's out of the mainstream fairly regularly or the debate teams wouldn't so often end up that way.

I don't think one has to love an industry and never complain about it and some of the its more rigid "rules" in order to work in it. I've been grateful for my paychecks, but that doesn't mean I never complain about my employer or don't long for priorities to be different. It seems to me that Lindsey, who grew up with the industry, so to speak, and remembers how different it used to be, is not precluded from being nervous and uncertain about leaving behind the label he knows and all of the people he's familiar with.

As you alluded to earlier, black and white is rarely reality. Shades of gray is where most of life takes place. Lindsey said something about how how he doesn't always accomplish his ultimate goal, but his intention is pure. That's pretty much how I think he, as well as the rest in the band, and most of us, get through life. You have a set of priorities that you strive toward. You don't always have things turn out exactly as you thought they might, but you don't stop aspiring to those ideals in some fashion, and making concessions to realities and insecurities, each time out of the gate.

Last edited by Les; 02-11-2005 at 03:12 PM..