View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
Yes I did - because I saw Brown_Eyes had already said it and I didn't want to be repetitive. Sorry for the confusion! If you want I'll add it back.
No that's okay

And good point on the deterent factor - it's true that the heat of the moment defensive would also apply to life imprisonment.

I was going on some local data - there's a push to re-instate the death penalty in New York State. Well - there's another program going on right now called Project Impact -it's basically a zero-tolerance program that targets not only the person committing a crime- but if they're part of a group or gang - law officials go after ALL those people...

The murder rate fell by 40% the first year of project Impact (ROchester's murder rate was higher than NYC's per capita) - the numbers were staggering when they compared murder rates when the death penalty was legal and when it was not - when there was no death penalty murder rates were much lower...

I'm still doing some research to find possible linkages etc...there may not be any - but it is an interesting corealtion...