View Single Post
Old 01-30-2005, 04:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
In my opinion, SYW consisted of 2 solo albums thrown together for marketing purposes. It's gone & forgotten as far as I'm concerned.
I have to... disagree... with fans and critics who've complained about 'Say You Will' being nothing more than two solo albums slapped together.

First thing... 'Tusk,' 'Mirage' and 'Tango' all, at various moments throughout, sound like three solo albums put together.
'Tusk' most of all.
'Fleetwood Mac' and 'Rumours' are the only two of their albums together that really sound like the songs are coming from ONE band.
That's not a complaint, of course, as I've always loved the diversity within their sound.

Secondly, Lindsey's 'Gift Of Screws' material WAS recorded with Mick and John, with some contributions from Christine. Now, while it was INTENDED for a solo album, the members of Fleetwood Mac WERE present. And, in many ways, that makes his 'Say You Will' songs even more "Fleetwood Mac" than many of his 'Tusk' and 'Tango' tracks.

Lastly... Stevie's songs, while written outside of the band, were recorded from the ground up with Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey produced them, and he, John and Mick played on every track.
And while they worked on the instrumentation for many of the songs while Stevie was on the road, once she joined them in the studio, they all worked together closely for many, many months. Including four completely new songs that they worked on only once Stevie joined them.
All of which, in many ways, makes her tracks more "Fleetwood Mac" than her 'Mirage' and 'Tango' contributions.

Sure, Lindsey (and maybe even Stevie) probably hoped that a new Fleetwood Mac album would assure more exposure than a solo release could, but I still don't agree with the notion that it was all a "marketing ploy" slapped together in haste.
And I have to wonder if people would feel that way if Christine had been there too (let's not forget, after all, that her songs were slapped onto 'Time' at the "last minute").

I, for one, LOVE 'Say You Will.' I've even grown to love the couple tracks that I wasn't head over heels for initially. And I have no complaints about the length of the album. I'd rather have EIGHTEEN new tracks to digest after all these years, than only 12 or 13.

It's a shame that Christine didn't take part in the recording of the album as a full-member. And, yes, it had a haphazard origin. But that it doesn't make it any less worthy of an album, IMO.