Thread: Pet thread?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2005, 12:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber

hmm, i've recently been wanting to get some really tiny cute birds. You've kind of curbed that desire...
Some people adore birds. I had a friend in high school who didn't really like most animals, HATED cats, but thought birds were the most wonderful things in the world.
I'm just not one of those people. Oh well, I never had any intention of getting birds. I ended up with them the same way I've ended up with the toad, the tortoise, several of my rats, one of the mice, and several fish -- their owner wasn't taking care of them. So of course stupid, gullible, soft-hearted sucker that I am took them in. Had them for 4 years and couldn't stand it anymore. I finally contacted an avian rescue organization who sent a volunteer out to pick them up. The volunteer actually ended up keeping them as her own pets.
As for the tortoise - I found a woman in my town that does tortoise and turtle rescue. She liked my tortoise so much that she considered keeping it herself. In the end the tortoise ended up in a breeding program at a nearby zoo (don't remember which one).
Some critters just aren't for certain people. There are some critters I'd love to have but probably never will. I'd really like to have a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach or a Millipede. No I'm not kidding. I've always had a fascination with bugs and people really do keep them as pets. I get the distinct feeling though that if I kept either of them I'd either be stuck living with my parents forever because I'd never find a roommate or landlord willing to deal with them (I'll have enough problems with the rats and the crabs) or I'd end up homeless because my parents would throw me out.