View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
The only thing I was trying to comment on, is the claim that the drop in popularity and sales is somehow a dependable indicator that her material was of a lesser quality.
We all know for a fact that you can release the best album of your life... Lindsey's 'Out Of The Cradle' is an excellent example of that... and still not be very popular or sell a lot of copies.

Now, in saying this (because one always has to qualify these types of statements around here, otherwise your intention is misconstrued), I'm NOT saying that albums like 'The Other Side Of The Mirror' and 'Street Angel' were the best albums of Stevie's career.
I'm merely stating that low sales are not an indicator of low quality, and shouldn't be used to suggest so.

I was also trying to remind folks that EVERY artist goes through a decline in popularity. You fall out of fashion, or people get burned out on you, and that's that.
The lucky and most talented of the bunch, come back from that eventually.
But, in Stevie's case, the music was of lesser quality and that reflected in sales. Trust me, I'm a HUGE Stevie fan. I don't care for RAL and SA at all or her TITN stuff, the rest I'm okay with. But, if you look at the timeline, the music got worse with each album and so did the sales. I think sales declined because her image was cartoonish AND because the music was of lesser quality. The sales didn't decline because it was good music.

And, thankfully, Stevie got her **** together and made great music again.