View Single Post
Old 04-29-2004, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
If Lindsey's owned it and played it, I wouldn't even pay $1,000 for it. It's a f*ing USED guitar. A NEW Model 1 is only $3,500.
(They're closer to $4,500 nowadays, and anything up to $6,000 if you want any extra work done, but...).....yea, I kinda agree, but this sort of thing happens all the time. A 60s Strat that Hendrix burnt and destroyed on stage was recently "restored" and sold in Sotheby's for about £400,000. A couple of weeks ago I also read that one of John Lennon's guitars was found in a trash can and the finder earnt himself close to 1,000,000 (can't remember if it was $ or £) after its auction. Relatively speaking (i.e. relative to $700,000 for a completely unusable burnt and broken guitar), this is a fair price for a very good condition Model 1 owned by LB. Having said that, I would not pay $17,500 for this guitar even if I was a billionaire (and I would not for that matter pay £400,000 for a Strat that looks like it's been dropped into the back of an F-16 either...I don't care who owned it!!)

Although, there's something definitely not quite right about this...I know the details of LB's Model Ones (i.e. how many/which ones etc etc) very well, and if he did own this one...it was for a very, very, brief period, and certainly was not used on the SYW tour. The auction claims it to have been "owned and used by LB"...I'd quite like to know just how "used" it was. If LB plucked one of its strings whilst it was on the stand then he still technically "used" it didn't he...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
Wasn't this on sale recently for a higher price? I guess he had no takers.
I've never seen this one on Ebay, but Ed Roman has had it on his website for well over a year now. It's been priced as $17,500 since he first put it up for sale.

Last edited by seteca; 04-29-2004 at 10:17 PM..