View Single Post
Old 03-23-2004, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
But I really don't think FM sold out. I think it was just more cautious than it should have been.
I agree with you... they did play it a bit too cautious with 'Mirage,' but I think they were considerably less cautious with 'Tango.'

Certainly, one can point to Lindsey's larger influence over 'Tango' as a reason for that, but when you think about it, even though most people have a huge distaste for her 'Tango' songs, the two self-penned tracks that Stevie contributed weren't very commercial at all either.
In fact, I'd go out on a limb and say that her material on 'Tango' is a lot less commercial than Lindsey's.

Ironically, it seems that the majority of fans would have preferred it if she had contributed songs that were "safer."
Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
If Lindsey had stayed out of Fleetwood Mac after Tusk, he might have had a viable solo career, strictly based on the limited success he had with Trouble, Holiday Road and Go Insane. He proved he could get hits as a solo artist. Maybe he kicks himself for having gone back to the band in 1982 and 1987, thereby short-selling and ultimately destroying his solo career. I am strictly speculating here, but it would be an understandable position. We all look back on certain decisions on our lives and realize there are certain nagging doubts we'll never be able to vanquish. What if?
That's a very good question you raise there.

It is quite possible that Lindsey would have achieved more solo success if he had left Fleetwood Mac after 'Tusk,' but, in my opinion, the factor that ultimately fated his solo career to being less than successful, was that there were such huge gaps between his releases.
There were three years between 'Law & Order' and 'Go Insane'... and 'Go Insane' came two years after 'Mirage.'
Then there was another three year lull, before 'Tango' was released.
And perhaps most damning... five years between 'Tango' and 'Out Of The Cradle.'

Also, because he didn't tour for either of his first two solo albums, and didn't end up touring for 'Tango,' people only had one real chance to see him perform live during the entire 12 year period before 'Cradle.'

Absence can make the heart grow fonder, but in the music world, it usually causes the audience to forget you.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 03-23-2004 at 04:32 PM..