Thread: Clifford Davis
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2004, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know a thing about Clifford Davis other than what's been written in the various Mac books. Bob Brunning's book is way more sympathetic to him than anything else I've read, and he pretty much tells his side of the story in that book. Quite a bit of first-hand info direct from him. Interesting thing about Bob's book - Davis is the first person he lists to thank in the book's acknowledgements. (BTW the book mentions why he changed his name from Clifford Adams to Davis, in order to avoid confusion with another Clifford Adams in the music business in the late '60s)

I know that he worked with Danny Kirwan on Danny's solo records in the '70s - and in fact Danny's backing band included menbers of the band Stretch, which had earlier been Davis's "bogus" Fleetwood Mac. And of course Davis continued to manage Peter Green into the mid-'70s (presumably they split after the "shotgun incident" but I'm having trouble finding any clear mention of their actual split). I did a Google search for Clifford Davis but I didn't come up with anything beyond his '60s & '70s association with Mac, Danny, and Peter.

So I'd say pick up a copy of Bob Brunning's book if you want to read Clifford Davis's version of events - whether or not his version is accurate is another matter.