View Single Post
Old 02-27-2004, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for your comments.
That's really what I was looking for.
I don't know that any "hard evidence" exists to prove or disprove any of the guesses, but just to hear another point of view allows for a different perspective -
One of my problems with the booklet is that some things are not, (to me, maybe I just don't get it) clear, or in the case of the Decca demos, seemingly flat out contradictory -
i.e.: in the interview (pg 1) MV (speaking to Green): "Which was why you even turned down the deal we got offered with Decca - John's label - after recording that four-track demo EP."

In the foreword, Mike Vernon writes (pg 3)"...my career as a staff producer at The Decca Record Co. Ltd. came to an end as a direct result of that company declining to sign Peter Green's new band."

Could the implication be that Decca would have signed them if Green had agreed to fit a particular mold that they had specified?
So in effect, they turned down Green's idea for the band, and Green turned down their "narrow" offer?
Please understand, I'm just throwing out different ideas here to see if any stick -

The reason I narrowed the demos down to the ones that McVie played on, without Jeremy, is again, due to the info in the booklet, which may be nothing more than a typo - "Fleetwood Mac" and "First Train Home" are listed as having been recorded in August -
the text for Chapter Six, also implies (to me) that "Rambling Pony No. 2" was recorded at the same session as those two songs - most sources have the first two recorded in April -
My feeling is that there were two sessions - one for the first two songs, and another, in May, June (?) for the demo -
so I don't believe that the August listing is correct -
Dates when can be certain of are their debut on August 13th with Bob Brunning - and the September 9th session for the first single - again, with Brunning -
I guess those songs could have been recorded after Jeremy joined the band; the November 22nd sessions didn't have Jeremy - but I do think that if Jeremy was in the band at the time of the demos, he would have been on the tracks, and that would wipe out my first guess - which I would have no problem with -
I also don't think the demo tracks would have been destroyed or lost and I find it hard to believe, especially if they were unreleased numbers, that they would not have surfaced, legitimately or on bootleg, by now -
Sorry to have gone on so long -
Again, thanks for your thoughts, hope to see some others - I just like to turn things around and upside down, see if I spot something I may have overlooked before -

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder