Thread: Kiln House
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2004, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

ChiliD wrote,
"Ingenious how Jeremy took all those Buddy Holly lyrics from different songs and made ONE song out of 'em..."

Actually, "Buddy's Song" is not a Spencer original. Like most of the songs he sang, whether in studio or in concert, it was a cover.
Though usually credited to Holly, it seems it first appeared on a 1963 album, "I Remember Buddy Holly" by teen idol, Bobby Vee.
Although no composer credit was listed, the title change on "Hi Ho Silver" did little to hide the fact that it was Big Joe Turner's song and Johnny Burnette's arrangement.
Which in no way detracts from what Spencer brought to these numbers. I too, enjoy these versions - and much of his work with Fleetwood Mac.
I would have much preferred he dug a little deeper into Elmore James' catalog, as not everything James recorded utilized the riff from "Dust My Broom"!
I've often wondered why Mike Vernon didn't use "I Held My Baby Last Night" for Mr. Wonderful -
and though they were concert staples from their first shows on , they apparently never cut "My Baby's Sweet" or "Talk to Me Baby" for a studio LP or single while with Blue Horizon (I know they cut the latter for "Blues Jam In Chicago" - but it was too late by then.)
Jeremy's "audition" tracks (which no one can seem to confirm) "Mean Old Fireman" and "Allow Me One More Show" along with the released "Believe My Time Ain't Long" are a much better representation of his abilities as a guitarist and it's a shame he wasn't encouraged to follow this direction - another missed opportunity.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder