View Single Post
Old 01-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
I've never seen anything to support that. Where have you?

And I'm sorry, but to compare what the slaves went through to what the Irish went through is rather silly and I'm sure many blacks would take offense to it. Was it harsh for both? Of course. Was it much harsher for the slaves? You bet your ass it was.
Let the black people you allege take offense all they want, but they have no corner on the market of suffering at the hands of the "white" or any other peoples.

I mean I do not think it is silly at all to compare the Irish being brought to the U.S. in the late 1700 and 1800's basically against their will (go to America or die of starvation) for the sole purpose of providing cheap labor that the employers knew most likely would die while providing is any better than being brought here against you will in a slave situation. I submit they are both equally as horrible but at least the slaves got fed, housed, and cared for. The Irish essentially were brought here to die had no such "luxury;" they were considered an expendable resource while the slaves were considered an asset. In fact, the North basically bribed the Irish males getting off of the boats in New York to become citizens right there and then and then shipped them of to fight for the Union Army in the Civil War; which I assert was the same as sending them to their deaths.

Interestingly, the same could be said for a significant number of the Chinese in this period. After all, the railroads used them as a resource as opposed to an asset as well.

In the end, I am just tired of everyone saying one group had it worse than another group did 200 years ago. I say we all just need to accept that it was all horrible and move on. Until we move on, I assert no peace can be had. But, people cannot do that; they seem to want to get bogged down in this my great . . . great grandparents had it much harder than your's did. So, pay me. That is just beyond me as I see no logic in it. But others do and the debate, therefore continues and probably will 200 years from now.

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 01-24-2004 at 03:16 PM..