View Single Post
Old 01-20-2004, 10:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by GypsySorcerer
You didn't mention Clinton's Executive Order of 1996 - guess that was okay. Ever see the Catholic Tom Daschle squirm on this subject? It's quite amusing.

By the way, I do support domestic partnerships and happen to be a Republican. Many of my friends don't understand how that can be, but does anyone believe 100% in the rhetoric their party spews? I don't. I just happen to side with the Republicans on most issues.

~Krista~
I am unsure which Executive Order that was. If you are suggesting that the D are just as bad on the subject of gay marriage, you are correct in that the Defense of Marriage Act overwhelmingly passed with bipartisan support.

I do know, however, that Bill Clinton signed an Executive Order making it illegal to fire a govt. employee solely on the grounds that they are gay. To his credit, W has not rescinded that Order. Also, I do not think W is against gay people per se. I just think he has run out of demons to point to in an attempt to rally his conservative far right religious base. So, he selects gay people because he knows gay people are hated (I know of no other adequate word) by the conservative far right religious base. Notice, btw that W cleverly did not mention civil unions. He, and more importantly Karl Rove, will let the talk show guests right now address that.

Finally, I agree, the SOTU is a big pow wow about stuff few actually believe.

save the cheerleader - save the world