View Single Post
Old 05-18-2024, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Stevie's lyrics are the chorus. All kudos accordingly.

Pretty certain that Lindsey's lyrics are the verses (not just the first line).
When Stevie says "Lindsey wrote Listen to the wind blow" I'm sure she means those parts of the song, not that line.

Listen to the wind blow
Watch the sun rise
Run in the shadows
Damn your love, damn your lies

Classic Lindsey.

It's possible the second verse lyrics were a collab, with Stevie riffing off what Lindsey presented for the first verse.

Before Lindsey came up with the first verse, didn't Stevie come up with a rather dreadful lyric first?
Write me a love song
Take away the sadness
That you gave me

Where is the demo with that version? I can't find it anymore.

My guess is that the intro music was hewn from the same stone as Lola.

Have never heard that verse by Stevie; it's not in the demo of her song The Chain (or whatever it was called at the time) that is on whichever of the zillion Rumours reissues.

She always said she wrote the chorus, he wrote the verses. From the bass solo onwards it's Keep Me There with the tagline added (chain keep us together).

In one of the many Stevie interviews in my cassette archive I am slowly working through she explains in one that dates from around 1980-ish that she wrote her "the chain" and Lindsey wasn't particularly impressed by it, but he did quite like the chorus. He said, according to her, can we use that? and she replied, "You realize you are taking the chorus out of my song.." and she then added, "He didn't really care that much" that he was "ruining" her song. It's not clear whether he had the bit "listen to the wind blow" in his mind, or whether in fact he'd already started working out the first part of the song Clearly that bass solo and then searing guitar bit had registered with him and he was wanting to try and build out a song that could lead into it.