View Single Post
Old 05-18-2024, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Yes, at 2:44 (Keep Me There with vocals from Rumours: More From The Recording Sessions [Disc 3]), but when her lyrics have a different music.

And the "If you don't love me now..." is in Stevie's demo include in the same disc.

I think The Chain is a complete puzzle, a well done and great puzzle.
It sort of is a puzzle especially with everyone contributing their parts. I love when great songs have multiple inspirations or the conflict in the band causes something unexpected and good. For example when REO Speedwagon was practicing Keep On Loving You, the guitarist was having none of it. He did not want the band to do ballads and wanted to rock out. As the band was playing in the studio he kept trying to interrupt the song with heavy guitar chords. The lead singer heard these interruptions and thought they added something to the song. Instead of a piano ballad you get these (muted) heavy guitar chords that just takes the song to an entirely different level. Next time you listen to the song you can hear how heavy those guitar riffs were but just toned down for the recording.
Edge of 17 is one of Stevie's best written songs IMHO. Its inspired by completely unrelated topics: her grandfather's death, John Lennon getting killed, and some bird from Arizona. Add them all together and you get one of the best poetry laced rockers ever at the same time ripping off the Police