View Single Post
Old 09-08-2023, 05:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusky View Post
Hi - how much do we know about Christine floating the idea of recording but not touring? It seemed to be before the recording of SYW (it's not mentioned in Destiny Rules), so do we know the content of those conversations and if she offered them songs?
Yes, Mick talked about it in his second book, Play On.

"We carried on without her [Christine] and recorded Say You Will, which was definitely a seismic shift in the group dynamic when it came to recording and songwriting, because of her absence. Chris did stay in touch during the making of that record and there were times when it was clear to us that she missed being in the band. She spoke to me and to Lindsey, and I believe she made a few phone calls to Stevie as well, during which she alluded that she might like to contribute to the album...That, however, would be opening a major can of worms and the rest of us knew it. If she wrote songs, then she would have to rejoin the band and really do it, because at that point we were halfway toward re-establishing ourselves without her.

After one of those calls from her, I'd always tell Lindsey: 'I got another call from Chris, have you? She's called me a few times, throwing around the possibility of writing for us'. 'Well she's not. She's gone,' Lindsey would say, without hesitation. All the same, I know that Lindsey started to believe that Chris might return, particularly during the early stages of recording Say You Will. He and I disagreed completely on this, however I knew how serious Chris was about the change in her lifestyle that departing the band meant to her , while Lindsey thought it was just a momentary phase. In the end, I was right"
- pp. 280-281