View Single Post
Old 04-15-2023, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Yes. However Stevie was working on her 6th solo album for years. Stevie went right into Enchanted in 1998 and then TISRL in 1999. She almost had a RAL DeJa'Vu where she did not use what was recorded in those years and brought Sheryl in to start all over again. Stevie was revamping her solo career. I agree, SYW should have come out in 1999 but Stevie was working on her revitalized solo career. The biggest mystery is during this era you would think they would have embraced the Buckingham/Nicks album and performed some of it live. My hunch is someone wanted to not stray from Fleetwood Mac and not be accused them of being a duo again. But that is just a hunch. It was the perfect time to do it yet a lost opportunity.
Agree that Stevie capitalized on the momentum and Chris’ departure to restart her solo career. But I think there would’ve been a lot more money in them pivoting to a 4-piece in 1998 and embracing B/N which was celebrating its 25th anniversary. I think with Chris deciding to step away (key difference here from
2018 of course is that Chris like Lindsey in 1987, chose to walk away) they could have done that with great success and acceptance. It would’ve been a unique way to bridge the gap between what the world had just seen as FM and what FM would end up being for the next 15-17 years. A FMBN tour in 1998 that went outside the US and then a new album in 1999 or 2000 would’ve been much more preferable than what they actually did.

It’s all a moot point now but it was such an interesting time and it’s hard to imagine that these people who love money so much just let the Fleetwood Mac circus fade away for 5 years. The world was so different by 2003 than what it was in 1998.

In the real world, after SYW, another album as a 4-piece in the 2008-10 era and a final album with the fivesome in 2015-16 would have been the way to go. What ended up actually happening is the dumbest of the options one could put together.