Thread: Chart Article
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2023, 08:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious knid View Post
Little Lies should have been the second number one song for them. The fact that it and Dreams were the only two songs to spend 20+ weeks on the chart just reinforces the idea. I think it might have happened if it had been the first single.

It's worth mentioning that Rhiannon was also a top ten hit based on the Cashbox (#9) and Record World (#10) rankings. And Don't Stop was number one for a single week like Dreams per Cashbox. It seems like Billboard has become the ultimate authority on rankings simply because it stills exists unlike the other two publications.
I agree with you that Little Lies would have been a #1 song if it was the lead single off Tango. Driving home from the mall listening to the newly released Tango, it screamed BIG HIT. It also featured all 3 singers. It also was placed first song side 2 which back in those days was reserved for the lead single on albums. I debate this with Steve all the time on this board. Seven Wonders killed the Tango momentum but Little Lies brought some of it back.
I think Hold Me would have or should have been their second #1. Something very odd and very unique happened to all the Mirage singles. They all got stuck on the charts and stayed at their peak position for weeks. Hold Me got stranded at #4 for 7 weeks. Gypsy got stuck at #12 for 3 weeks. Love In Store got stuck at #22 for 3 weeks. Hold Me was in the top 10 for 10 weeks. No other Mac single stayed in the top 10 that long. Dreams sped up to #1 and then fell like a rock. I think the next week at #1 it fell to #7 and was only in the top 10 for a few weeks.
Hold Me also finished the year (1982) as a bigger hit than Dreams did in 1977. Just think how long 10 weeks is. Olivia Newton John had the biggest hit of the 1980s where Physical stayed #1 for 9 weeks. Hold Me was in the top 10 for that long spending 7 of those weeks at #4.
Tusk is the oddest album where Chris always had the catchy pop tunes and the most conventional song off Tusk could not break above #20. Yet odd songs like Tusk and Sara made the top 10. What IF Think About Me was the lead single off Tusk? I think it would have been a smash.