View Single Post
Old 01-12-2023, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Great interview. Talking to her is like talking to a thoroughly pleasant, thoughtful, warm person. So un-Hollywood. No ego.

What gives this chat an added interest is the timing in the band’s history. So much uncertainly — which was unsettling but potentially exciting. I remember hoping TANGO would be the start of a new run of FM records with this lineup, but upon hearing it, Lindsey’s imminent break away, forcing the band to reorganize itself, was apparent. Stevie sounded like she had come to the (sad) end of her career, Christine’s (excellent) pop tunes felt engineered to BE hits as opposed to emerging as hits. And all of Lindsey’s material, save the title track, sounded as if it were recorded alone by him. Tango is a contrived success, a calculated project—but a massively appealing one.

What pleased me about MASK (which I otherwise hated) is to hear how strong Christine and Stevie’s vocals sounded minus the synths and engineering. The arrangements were generic late 80s fare but you could tell beneath all that that the women still had a lot to give…
Exactly! I agree with everything you said.
I cant get enough of this sliver of an era. Its so weird to listen and know what was about to happen. What also makes these interviews fascinating is the interviewer. It sounds like we are eavesdropping on a private conversation. Yes they were called to promote Tango but we get all sorts of juicy details. Its more of a conversation than interview. Few interviewers would dare call an artist's solo album underrated (even though he meant it as a compliment) but it really opened up Chris to express her emotions. There is no slick promotion or ass kissing in these interviews. When someone interrupts Lindsey at his house, the interviewer asks him point blank......where are you? We also get a timestamp on these interviews which is several weeks after Seven Wonders was released. I am guessing this interview was probably in July 1987 which was one month before things blew up. I remember listening to radio promos of Tango in May 1987 and the band was always asked about touring and Lindsey was coy but sounded like he was teasing and things were a go. In this interview you sense the tension about touring. Both Chris and Lindsey almost say the same thing i.e. some like touring more than others. Chris is so happy here while Lindsey seems torn. Just incredible historic interviews. Its cute and I love how Eddy always kept Chris updated on the music charts. Lindsey mentions how he kept track of that stuff too. My other question would be is Lindsey lying that its Stevie on Family Man? If not then what other song did he fake her voice? The controversial Everywhere topic? Enquiring minds want to know!

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-12-2023 at 06:03 PM..