Thread: Sugar Daddy
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think I hate it simply because it feels to live up to SYLM & OMH and is a disappointment in comparison. And keep in mind I don’t appreciate music the way so many of you do. So a great piano section is lost on me. I fall for a hook and while Sugar Daddy is lively, it’s not contagious. I don’t bop sling to it and I miss the emotion that I enjoy so much in even SYLM. SYLM is a light song. On the surface, it isn’t even about dejection or rejection. But I feel it anyway. There’s an underlying message that says “I’m letting myself be used. He’s not fooling me, but I’m enjoying the ride anyway.” I guess I don’t get that layering in Sugar Daddy.

And you guys will say Family Man is a great song instrumentally. But instruments do nothing for me in that way They don’t say Popeye and they don’t save Sugar Daddy for me.

I think I had greater expectations for Sugar Daddy being on the white album than I would have if it was on Tusk where I don’t like most of Christine’s songs anyway. I probably would consider a pick me up for her on Tusk, not a let down. Keep in mind, I didn’t get the entire album until years after its release. So I already knew two of her songs from that album. I also knew and loved Rhiannon and I went to the unknown Sugar Daddy with excitement hoping it would be just as good because it was going to be something “new” for me and then I didn’t think it was any good. I had a resentment. And no, I don’t like the lyrics, either.
Wow. I wonder if it's a musician thing? That maybe we're the only ones that get it?

And we're apparently opposites. The MUSIC is what does it for me. For the most part, I couldn't care less about the lyrics. Exactly why Think About Me is my favorite FM song. The music is absolutely perfect. It instantly puts me in a good mood!

The piano intro for Sugar Daddy, followed by the organ kicking in, IS THE ULTIMATE FM GROOVE.