View Single Post
Old 12-02-2003, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by AliP
Really, Say Goodbye is overproduced? How so? I always thought it was one of his more simpler songs, in a way like NGBA.
When I said that it's a "production mess," I wasn't meaning that it's "over-produced."

To my ears, it just feels that the two main parts of the song... the guitar part, and the vocal melody... work against each other, rather than in a complementary way.
The technique Lindsey used to record the guitar part(s) sounds fussy alongside the vocal melody, and the vocal melody sounds rushed and overpowered, in turn.

So, for me, this is one of those cases where Lindsey's desire to do something experimental, didn't benefit the song... which is a damn shame, since it has some of his most heartfelt lyrics.

I will say that the idea does work better on "Red Rover." It might not be my favorite, but that song has the cohesion "Say Goodbye" seems to lack.
"Red Rover" really is pretty incredible on the "and the lips you were kissing," parts.

You have to keep in mind that I don't hate anything Lindsey has done (not even "Here Comes The Sun"), I just find that there are a few songs that leave me cold, for one reason or another.