View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
'I think she absolutely should have left after BD outsold Fleetwood Mac. Christine was still the primary hit singles writer. The band could have easily survived Stevie leaving anytime prior to 1987. After Lindsey quit, that was a different story.'

I don't agree with that. If she left at the height of her solo success, FM would have been badly hurt by losing their star drawing power. Mirage without Gypsy?? No Stevie in Hold Me video??
Agreed. FM needed her more than ever in 1981–if they wanted to keep up their mega-blockbuster streak. Now, if they had decided to rebrand themselves on a hard-working, lower-key scale, putting out an album a year with LB/CM at the helm, it could have eventually worked well. But LB would never put out an album a year, and the Brits became very fond of the big money. And in truth, the live shows would have needed to change (more daring instrumentation and arrangements to compensate for the lack of the flashy, swirling vocalist..). In truth, there was no going back to their mid-level status. Not if they could avoid it. That’s why LB’s quitting in 87 was such a blow...

Btw: I ❤️ Christine’s TUSK songs